2 CONWAY MEN CHARGED IN BURGLARY

by Gair on August 21, 2013

CONWAY POLICE SAY TWO 26-YEAR-OLD CONWAY MEN HAVE BEEN CHARGED IN CONNECTION WITH A BURGLARY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING WHERE A CALLER REPORTED SOMEONE HAD KICKED DOWN THE DOOR OF A HOUSE AND TOOK SOME ITEMS THAT INCLUDED MONEY.

DETECTIVE SGT. CHRIS MATTEI SAYS OFFICERS INITIALLY RESPONDED TO A SINGLE FAMILY HOME AT 53 QUINT ST. SHORTLY BEFORE 3:45 A.M. AND FOUND FOUR FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAD BEEN SLEEPING UPSTAIRS IN THE HOME WERE NOT HURT.

AFTER AN INVESTIGATION AT THE SCENE THAT INCLUDED TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS, MATTEI SAYS OFFICERS REALIZED THE PERPETRATORS HAD TAKEN UP A VANTAGE POINT AND LAID IN WAIT BEHIND THE HOUSE.

MATTEI SAYS OFFICERS GOT A TIP ABOUT A POSSIBLE SUSPECT BASED ON INFORMATION ABOUT A WEEKEND INCIDENT AND THEY WENT TO AN APARTMENT ON WASHINGTON STREET TO CHECK IT OUT.

HE SAYS THEY FOUND TWO MEN AT 55 WASHINGTON ST., APARTMENT FIVE – INCLUDING THE UNIT’S RESIDENT – JOSHUA S. SMITH – AND HIS ASSOCIATE, ANDREW W. CARRUTHERS, OF 224 HIGH RD. BOTH MEN ALLEGEDLY ADMITTED THEIR INVOLVEMENT IN THE INCIDENT, ONE TELLING POLICE HE HAD GONE TO THE HOUSE TO TAKE SOME ITEMS AND THE OTHER SAYING HE HAD BEEN THERE AS WELL, TO HELP.

NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE POLICE ASSISTED.

BOTH SUSPECTS APPEARED BEFORE A CONWAY DISTRICT COURT JUDGE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON, WHERE BAIL WAS SET AT $5,000 PERSONAL RECOGNIZANCE FOR CARRUTHERS ON A SINGLE COUNT OF CLASS A FELONY BURGLARY – AND $20,000 PERSONAL RECOGNIZANCE FOR SMITH – WHO MATTEI SAYS HAS A MORE INVOLVED CRIMINAL HISTORY – ON A SINGLE CLASS A FELONY COUNT OF CRIMINAL LIABILITY FOR THE CONDUCT OF ANOTHER.

EACH FELONY COUNT CARRIES A POTENTIAL MAXIMUM TERM OF 15 YEARS IN THE NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE PRISON AND $4,000 IN FINES.

BOTH MEN ARE DUE TO APPEAR IN COURT AGAIN SEP. 10, 2013.

Leave a Comment