ALBANY MAN CONVICTED IN CHILD BEATING CASE

by Gair on February 4, 2013

THE CARROLL COUNTY ATTORNEY SAYS A 34-YEAR-OLD ALBANY MAN HAS BEEN CONVICTED ON ALL 10 COUNTS HE WAS CHARGED WITH IN CONNECTION WITH THE BEATING OF A 2-YEAR-OLD BOY IN LATE 2011 THAT LEFT THE CHILD WITH LIFE THREATENING INJURIES.

ROBIN GORDON SAYS A CARROLL COUNTY JURY DELIBERATED A LITTLE MORE THAN TWO HOURS BEFORE RETURNING THE GUILTY VERDICTS LATE MONDAY MORNING AGAINST JUSTIN ROY OF ODINA DRIVE.

ROY – WHO LIVED IN HIS HOME AT A PARK IN ALBANY WITH THE BEATEN BOY’S MOTHER – WAS ARRESTED AND CHARGED IN APRIL, 2012 AFTER A JOINT INVESTIGATION BY THE CARROLL COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE POLICE.

GORDON BELIEVES ROY INFLICTED BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA ON THE BOY IN AN OUTDOOR SHED.

AFTER THE ASSAULTS WERE REPORTED ON DECEMBER 19, 2011 THE VICTIM WAS INITIALLY TAKEN TO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL IN NORTH CONWAY BEFORE BEING TRANSFERRED TO MAINE MEDICAL CENTER IN PORTLAND.

GORDON – WHO ASSUMED OFFICE AS COUNTY ATTORNEY IN JAN., 2013 PICKED UP THE CASE THAT HAD BEEN INITIATED BY HER PREDECESSOR, TOM DEWHURST.

JURORS HEARD MORE THAN A WEEK OF TESTIMONY BEFORE GETTING THE CASE LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

THE JURY FOUND ROY GUILTY ON TWO COUNTS OF KIDNAPPING, THREE COUNTS OF SECOND DEGREE ASSAULT, ONE COUNT OF FIRST DEGREE ASSAULT AND ONE COUNT OF CRIMINAL RESTRAINT – ALL FELONIES – AND THREE MISDEMEANOR COUNTS OF SIMPLE ASSAULT.

GORDON SAYS BECAUSE OF THE VICTIM’S AGE, THE PENALTIES CARRY POTENTIAL EXTENDED TERMS OF IMPRISONMENT – MEANING ROY COULD BE SENTENCED TO MORE THAN 100 YEARS IF HE’S GIVEN MAXIMUM TERMS.

A SUPERIOR COURT JUDGE HAS ASKED FOR A PRE-SENTENCING REPORT TO CONSIDER BEFORE HE SENTENCES ROY.

Leave a Comment