Chief: Maintain roads and driveways

by Christian Mower on February 24, 2014

The Conway fire chief credits a new working carbon monoxide alarm with going off before workers entered a maintenance garage at the White Mountain National Forest Saco Ranger District for preventing exposure of the workers to a buildup of carbon monoxide in the garage.

Steve Solomon says his firefighters responded to the garage off the Kancamagus Hwy. just after 7 p.m. Sunday after the alarm activated. Firefighters found carbon monoxide gas inside the building because of a faulty propane heater, that was then shut off. The caretaker was advised to have the heater serviced.

The chief says it was fortunate he had a carbon monoxide detector in his car for another call Friday on Landsdown Lane in the Rockhouse Mountain subdivision. He was able to make it up to a house on a private road in his vehicle but the road had not been properly maintained and other emergency vehicles would not have been able to make it.

Solomon took care of the carbon monoxide issue at the house himself, caused by a downdraft – but he requests homeowners who live on private roads or have long driveways to make sure they are properly plowed, cleared, salted and sanded to allow emergency trucks to access them.

The chief says his fire trucks are 8 and a half feet wide and if they can’t get up a hill that hasn’t been sanded or into a driveway that’s too narrow, they won’t be able to respond.