CONWAY BRUSHFIRE BURNS MORE THAN AN ACRE; HOMEOWNER LIKELY TO BE CITED

by Christian Mower on April 6, 2012

THE CONWAY FIRE CHIEF SAYS A CONWAY RESIDENT WILL LIKELY BE CITED AND CHARGED FOR THE COST OF THE RESPONSE OF SEVERAL FIRE DEPARTMENTS AFTER AN ILLEGAL OUTDOOR FIRE IN HIS BACKYARD FRIDAY AFTERNOON GOT OUT OF CONTROL AND QUICKLY SPREAD TO MORE THAN AN ACRE.

STEVE SOLOMON SAYS HIS DEPARTMENT WAS CALLED TO 155 SARGENT ROAD SHORTLY BEFORE 12:30 P.M. AND AFTER ASSESSING THE SITUATION, HE CALLED FOR A SECOND ALARM.

THAT BROUGHT FIRE CREWS FROM CENTER CONWAY, REDSTONE, NORTH CONWAY, MADISON AND BARTLETT TO ASSIST.

DESPITE WINDS GUSTING TO 15 MILES AN HOUR FIREFIGHTERS WERE ABLE TO FLANK THE FIRE AND CONTAIN IT SHORTLY AFTER 1 P.M. – IT WAS REPORTED TO BE OUT AROUND 2:30 P.M.

THE CHIEF DECLINES TO IDENTIFY THE HOMEOWNER INVOLVED. THE MAN REPORTEDLY TOLD FIREFIGHTERS HE WASN’T AWARE OF THE HIGH FIRE DANGER.

FIRE PERMITS WERE NOT BEING ISSUED IN CONWAY FRIDAY BECAUSE OF THE DRY AND WINDY CONDITIONS.

FORECASTERS AND FIRE OFFICIALS HAD BEEN WARNING FOR SEVERAL DAYS OF POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS FIRE CONDITIONS IN CARROLL COUNTY DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF HIGH WINDS, LOW HUMIDITY AND LACK OF PRECIPITATION.