CONWAY FIREFIGHTER CREDITED

by Gair on June 26, 2013

THE CHIEF OF THE CONWAY FIRE DEPARTMENT CREDITS ONE OF HIS FIREFIGHTERS FOR HIS QUICK REACTION TUESDAY EVENING AFTER A PROPANE GAS GRILL CAUGHT FIRE.

STEVE SOLOMON SAYS SHORTLY AFTER 5:30 P.M. A FAMILY AT 23 BEECHWOOD DR. WAS USING A PROPANE GRILL TO PREPARE DINNER WHEN IT CAUGHT FIRE, LIGHTING UP THE WOOD DECK AND AN AWNING.

THE CHIEF SAYS FIREFIGHTER BILL BARBIN – WHO LIVES NEARBY – QUICKLY RAN OVER WITH TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND WAS ABLE TO KNOCK THE FIRE DOWN AND KEEP IT CONTAINED UNTIL FIRE TRUCKS ARRIVED.

THE FIRE DID MELT PART OF THE AWNING AND DAMAGED THE DECK AND ITS RAILING BUT NO ONE WAS HURT.

SOLOMON SAYS THERE’S NO 100 PERCENT WAY TO AVOID SUCH A FIRE BUT FREQUENT GRILL CLEANING CAN HELP.

HE SAYS THE FIRE WAS PROBABLY CAUSED BY DRIPPINGS THAT FELL DOWN ONTO THE PROPANE TANK AND HOSE ASSEMBLY.

HE RECOMMENDS KEEPING ANY GAS GRILL AT LEAST 10 TO 15 FEET AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE AND NOT LEAVING IT UNATTENDED WHILE IT’S ON – AS WELL AS HAVING SEVERAL FIRE EXTINGUISHERS HANDY.

FIREFIGHTERS WERE AT THE SCENE ABOUT A HALF HOUR.

Leave a Comment