CONWAY MAN SENTENCED ON COMMON NUISANCE CHARGE

by Christian Mower on June 26, 2012

AN ASSISTANT CARROLL COUNTY ATTORNEY SAYS A 50-YEAR-OLD CONWAY MAN WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE BY 2013 AFTER HE WAS SENTENCED MONDAY IN SUPERIOR COURT IN OSSIPEE.

STEVE MURRAY SAYS JUDGE STEVEN HOURAN SENTENCED JOHN OHANASIAN OF PROSPECT ROAD TO ONE AND HALF YEARS TO 7 YEARS IN STATE PRISON ON A SINGLE FELONY CHARGE OF “MAINTAINING A COMMON NUISANCE” FOR RUNNING A DRUG DEN AND ALLOWING THE ILLEGAL USE OF DRUGS AT HIS HOME.

A JURY FOUND OHANASIAN GUILTY OF THE CHARGE IN MARCH. AT THE TIME MURRAY PRAISED THE CONWAY POLICE DEPARTMENT FOR ITS SUCCESSFUL INVESTIGATION AND THE NEW HAMPSHIRE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS FOR ITS ASSISTANCE IN THE CASE.

BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY OUT ON BAIL WHEN HE WAS CHARGED, OHANASIAN FACED A POTENTIAL SENTENCE OF 7 TO 14 YEARS ON THE COMMON NUISANCE CHARGE.

HE HAS BEEN HELD AT THE CARROLL COUNTY JAIL SINCE JUNE, 2011.

MURRAY SAYS HE’S DISAPPOINTED IN THE SENTENCE AND BELIEVES A LONGER PERIOD OF INCARCERATION WAS NECESSARY BUT HE SAYS HE UNDERSTANDS THE JUDGE’S REASONING. HE SAYS HE’S EVALUATING OPTIONS FOR A POSSIBLE REVIEW OF THE SENTENCE.

MURRAY SAYS OHANASIAN IS SCHEDULED TO GO ON TRIAL IN OCTOBER IN AN UNRELATED CASE WHERE HE’S CHARGED WITH A SINGLE COUNT OF AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT THAT ALLEGEDLY INVOLVED THE IMPROPER TOUCHING OF A CHILD LESS THAN 13 YEARS OLD.

OHANASIAN HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY TRIED FOR THIS CHARGE BUT A JURY WAS UNABLE TO REACH A VERDICT. HE HAD BEEN ACQUITTED ON A RELATED CHARGE AT THE SAME TRIAL – AND ALSO ACQUITTED IN A SEPARATE TRIAL OF AN UNRELATED CHARGE OF AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT ON A DIFFERENT CHILD.