EXPLOSION VICTIM’S CONDITION WORSENS

by Christian Mower on September 25, 2013

THE CONDITION OF THE VICTIM OF MONDAY’S HOUSE EXPLOSION ON THE CONWAY/ALBANY TOWN LINE HAS GOTTEN WORSE.

A SPOKESPERSON FOR MAINE MEDICAL CENTER IN PORTLAND SAYS PHILIP MURPHY IS LISTED IN “SERIOUS” CONDITION THERE WEDNESDAY MORNING – MURPHY HAD BEEN REPORTED TO BE IN “FAIR” CONDITION TUESDAY.

THE 53-YEAR-OLD MURPHY WAS IDENTIFIED TUESDAY BY WMUR TV AS THE EXPLOSION VICTIM.CONWAY FIRE CHIEF STEVE SOLOMON SAYS HE WAS FOUND LYING ON THE GRASS NEAR A SINGLE FAMILY HOME ON VALLADARES DR. SHORTLY AFTER 4 P.M. MONDAY, WHERE SOLOMON’S FIREFIGHTERS RESPONDED AFTER GETTING A REPORT A BUILDING HAD COLLAPSED.

MURPHY WAS INITIALLY TAKEN TO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL IN NORTH CONWAY BEFORE BEING TRANSFERRED TO MAINE MEDICAL CENTER.

SOLOMON WAS BACK AT THE SCENE TUESDAY INVESTIGATING THE EXPLOSION. HE SAYS PROPANE GAS EXPLODED IN THE BASEMENT AND THE SOURCE OF THE GAS LEAK WAS PIPING WORK THAT DID NOT COMPLY WITH BUILDING CODE.

SOLOMON SAYS THE EXPLOSION WAS AN ACCIDENT AND ITS SOURCE WAS MOST LIKELY THE HOME’S HOT WATER HEATER. THE CHIEF HAD TO USE AN EXCAVATOR JUST TO GET INTO THE DESTROYED HOME YESTERDAY. THE HOUSE HAS BEEN CONDEMNED AND WILL BE TORN DOWN WEDNESDAY.

THE CHIEF SAYS LIKE ANOTHER RECENT EXPLOSION ON STARK RD. IN CONWAY, THIS LATEST INCIDENT IS A REMINDER OF WHY THE FIRE CODE EXISTS, AS IT ESTABLISHES THE MINIMUM STANDARDS NECESSARY TO PROVIDE FOR LIFE SAFETY AND PREVENT PROPERTY DAMAGE.

THE CHIEF SAYS ONLY NEW HAMPSHIRE LICENSED GAS FITTERS SHOULD DO GAS WORK AND HE RECOMMENDS IF YOU SMELL GAS AT YOUR HOUSE, GO OUTSIDE, CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND YOU AND CALL YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT.

Leave a Comment