FATAL TUFTONBORO FIRE CAUSED BY ASHES

by Gair on December 5, 2012

THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL SAYS NOVEMBER’S FATAL HOME FIRE IN TUFTONBORO WAS STARTED BY HOT ASHES AND COALS FROM A WOOD STOVE THAT WEREN’T PROPERLY DISPOSED OF.

BILL DEGNAN, TUFTONBORO FIRE CHIEF ADAM THOMPSON AND TUFTONBORO POLICE CHIEF ANDREW SHAGOURY SAY THEIR JOINT INVESTIGATION DETERMINED DEBORAH CARY DIED OF SMOKE INHALATION FROM THE FIRE THAT BROKE OUT AROUND 2 A.M. NOV. 16TH AT HER HOME AT 34 BARBER POLE RD.

SHE AND HER HUSBAND RICHARD CARY WOKE UP BECAUSE OF THE FIRE AND WHILE RICHARD WENT TO TRY TO PUT THE FIRE OUT, DEBORAH STAYED INSIDE THE HOUSE AND TRIED TO RETRIEVE SOME ITEMS.

DEGNAN SAYS RICHARD CARY WAS ABLE TO ESCAPE FROM THE HOUSE AND INVESTIGATORS FOUND HIS WIFE’S BODY INSIDE IT AFTER THE FIRE WAS PUT OUT.

DEBORAH CARY WAS A POPULAR MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY – A TALENTED WEAVER – AND A MEMBER OF THE UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST FELLOWSHIP IN TAMWORTH. SHE IS REMEMBERED FONDLY BY THE REV. MARY EDES, WHO SAYS SHE WAS DEARLY LOVED BY MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION.

NORTH CONWAY FIRE CHIEF PAT PREECE SAYS A BRUSHFIRE THAT BROKE OUT NOV. 30TH ON WEST SIDE RD. IN NORTH CONWAY WAS ALSO CAUSED BY WOOD ASHES THAT WERE NOT PROPERLY DISPOSED OF. NO ONE WAS HURT IN THAT INCIDENT BUT THE FIRE QUICKLY SPREAD TO ABOUT A HALF ACRE AND TWO HOMES WERE THREATENED BY IT.

DEGNAN URGES PEOPLE TO USE CAUTION WHEN DISCARDING ASHES AND COALS FROM ANY STOVE AND SAYS NON-COMBUSTIBLE CONTAINERS SHOULD BE USED – AND PLACED IN NON-COMBUSTIBLE AREAS AWAY FROM STRUCTURES.

HE ALSO URGES PEOPLE TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE WORKING SMOKE DETECTORS AND A HOME EXIT STRATEGY. HE ALSO RECOMMENDS CALLING 911 IMMEDIATELY IF YOU DISCOVER A FIRE AND THAT YOU NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT YOURSELF.

Leave a Comment