FRYING PAN CAUSES SMOKE IN BARTLETT; TAMWORTH BARN FIRE NOT SUSPICIOUS

by Christian Mower on March 1, 2012

THE BARTLETT FIRE CHIEF SAYS A HOMEOWNER IN THE GLENWOOD AREA WAS VERY HAPPY TO RETURN HOME WEDNESDAY MORNING TO FIND HIS HOUSE HAD ONLY SUSTAINED MINIMAL SMOKE DAMAGE.

PAT ROBERTS SAYS HE RESPONDED TO THE SINGLE STORY HOME ON ABBY TERRACE SHORTLY AFTER 10:15 A.M. AFTER NEIGHBORS REPORTED HEARING AN ALARM – AND JOINED BY A BARTLETT POLICE OFFICER – HE ENTERED THE EMPTY HOUSE AND FOUND A FRYING PAN ON THE STOVE WITH THE BURNER STILL ON.

ROBERTS SAYS THERE WAS LIGHT TO MODERATE SMOKE INSIDE THE HOUSE. THE CHIEF SAYS THE SITUATION COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE IF THE ALARM HAD NOT SOUNDED.

ROBERTS SECURED THE STOVE AND OPENED WINDOWS IN THE HOUSE TO VENT THE SMOKE.

THE HOMEOWNER WAS CONTACTED AND RETURNED HOME TO HELP RE-SET THE ALARM.

MEANWHILE, THE TAMWORTH FIRE CHIEF SAYS THERE’S NO INDICATION OF ANY FOUL PLAY IN A BARN FIRE EARLY MONDAY MORNING THAT DESTROYED A BARN ON MASON HILL ROAD AND KILLED FIVE GOATS.

RICH COLCORD SAYS UNITS ARRIVED AT THE SCENE SHORTLY BEFORE 2:15 A.M. TO FIND THE BARN FULLY INVOLVED. FIREFIGHTERS WORKED IN TEMPERATURES ABOUT FIVE DEGREES TO PROTECT A NEARBY HOUSE AND CHICKEN COOP WHILE USING 19,000 GALLONS OF WATER TO PUT OUT AS MUCH OF THE FIRE AS POSSIBLE.

AN EXCAVATOR WAS BROUGHT IN TO GET TO FIRE THAT HAD SPREAD AND WAS STILL BURNING IN THE BASEMENT.

COLCORD’S FIREFIGHTERS WERE ASSISTED BY DEPARTMENTS FROM WEST OSSIPEE, MADISON AND SANDWICH – AND NORTH CONWAY AMBULANCE.
THE LAST UNITS CLEARED THE SCENE AROUND NOON. COLCORD SAYS THE FIRE PROBABLY STARTED BECAUSE OF AN ELECTRIC HEAT LAMP THAT WAS MOUNTED IN THE GOATS’ PEN.