NO INJURIES AFTER HOUSE EXPLOSION

by Christian Mower on July 24, 2013

CONWAY FIRE CHIEF STEVE SOLOMON SAYS A GAS LEAK CAUSED AN EXPLOSION AT A HOME IN CONWAY EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

SOLOMON’S FIREFIGHTERS, CONWAY AMBULANCE AND CONWAY POLICE RESPONDED TO THE 2-STORY GAMBREL STYLE HOUSE AT 1262 STARK ROAD SHORTLY AFTER 12:30 P.M.

ON ARRIVAL, RESPONDERS FOUND THE FIRST FLOOR WINDOWS HAD BEEN BLOWN OUT AND THERE WAS LIGHT SMOKE. THERE WAS NO FIRE BUT SIGNIFICANT STRUCTURAL DAMAGE WAS FOUND.

SOLOMON SAYS TWO NEW HOMEOWNERS WERE HOME AT THE TIME OF THE EXPLOSION – ON THE SECOND FLOOR – BUT THEY MANAGED TO ESCAPE WITHOUT INJURY AS THE HOUSE FILLED WITH SMOKE.

NO FIREFIGHTERS WERE HURT.

THE CHIEF SAYS LEAKING GAS UNDER A FLOOR MIXED WITH AIR FROM JUST OPENED WINDOWS AND WAS THEN IGNITED BY THE PILOT LIGHT OF A NEARBY HOT WATER HEATER.

THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL’S OFFICE ASSISTED WITH THE INVESTIGATION.

SOLOMON SAYS THE HOME HAS BEEN CONDEMNED.

Leave a Comment