Authorities Have Arrested 3 Suspects In The Deadly Ariana Grande Concert Attack

by Christian Mower on May 23, 2017

Manchester, England (AP) –  Police in Manchester say they have arrested three more men in connection with the suicide bombing at a pop concert that killed 22 people. They said Wednesday the arrests had been made in the south of the city, where a day earlier a 23-year-old man was also arrested and a number of homes were searched.

Police are trying to establish if bomber Salman Abedi acted alone or whether there could be a risk of further attacks. Manchester police so far have said nothing about the attacker’s possible motivation.

Manchester health officials have raised the number of wounded in the concert bombing, saying 119 people sought medical treatment at the city’s hospitals after the suicide attack Monday night.

The Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership gave the higher figure on Wednesday. Jon Rouse of the agency said 64 people were still hospitalized. He said the number of overall wounded was raised due to the “walking wounded” who came in hours after the attack. Rouse said many of those hospitalized had serious wounds that would require “very long term care and support in terms of their recovery.”

July McKenzie, who was shopping when the Arndale shopping center, said: “We were just in the shop and could hear people screaming and security guards telling everybody to get out.” Some people left the scene in tears, while others waited outside the mall.

A Czech woman who was at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester says that “there was almost no security check, rather zero. They let us get in without any check if we have anything with us.” Nikola Trochtova told the Czech public radio that “the only thing they were interested in was if we had any bottles of water with us. They almost didn’t check our bags, they didn’t take a look.” She says she was leaving the venue when she heard an explosion at the entrance, but learned the details only after returning to her hotel.

The United States Department of Homeland Security says there is no evidence of credible threats against music venues in the U.S., as England reels from an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert late Monday. The department says the U.S. public may experience increased security in and around public places and events.

TMZ is reporting that the 23-year-old singer has suspended the remaining stops on her European tour. Grande was scheduled to perform in London on Thursday.

British Prime Minister Theresa May says that it is “beyond doubt” that Britain and the city of Manchester have fallen victim to “a callous terrorist attack.” Speaking outside her offices in London, she says “Although it is not the first time Manchester has suffered in this way, it is the worst attack the city has experienced, and the worst ever to hit the north of England.” May says police believe they know the attacker’s identity but are not disclosing it immediately.

Harun Khan, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, has joined the condemnations of the Manchester attack. In a statement, Khan says: “This is horrific, this is criminal. May the perpetrators face the full weight of justice both in this life and the next.” He adds: “I urge all those in the region and around the country to pool together to support those affected.”

President Donald Trump is expressing solidarity with the United Kingdom in the wake of a deadly explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, condemning the “evil losers” behind the blast. Trump spoke Tuesday after a meeting in Bethlehem with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Trump says the attack preyed on “innocent children.” He says this “wicked ideology must be obliterated. And I mean completely obliterated.” Manchester police so far have said nothing about the attacker’s identity or possible motivation.