NO INJURIES AFTER MATTRESS FIRE IN FREEDOM

by Christian Mower on July 19, 2012

A FREEDOM FIRE CHIEF SAYS NO ONE WAS HURT AND THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO A DETACHED GARAGE AT A HOME IN FREEDOM WEDNESDAY MORNING AFTER FIREFIGHTERS FOUND A MATTRESS SMOLDERING IN A GARAGE.

ASST. CHIEF TOM TOZIER SAYS HIS DEPARTMENT WAS CALLED TO 20 ASH ROAD ABOUT 10 A.M. AND BECAUSE A FIRST ALARM WAS DECLARED, FIRE DEPARTMENTS FROM CENTER OSSIPEE, WEST OSSIPEE, EFFINGHAM AND MADISON WERE ALSO CALLED TO ASSIST.

TWO AMBULANCES FROM NORTH CONWAY AMBULANCE ALSO RESPONDED.

TOZIER SAYS WHEN THEY ARRIVED ON SCENE THEY FOUND A MATTRESS HAD BEEN BURNING FROM A POSSIBLE LIGHTNING STRIKE. HE SAYS THE FIRE PRETTY MUCH BURNED OUT ON ITS OWN.

TOZIER SAYS HE’S NOT SURE WHEN THE LIGHTNING HIT THE GARAGE.

THE HOMEOWNERS HAD COME OUT TO THE GARAGE AND CALLED FOR HELP AFTER SMELLING AND SEEING LIGHT SMOKE.

THERE WERE NO SMOKE DETECTORS IN THE GARAGE AND TOZIER SAYS THE OWNERS WERE LUCKY THE FIRE DIDN’T CONTINUE TO BURN AS IT COULD HAVE TAKEN THE GARAGE DOWN.