NO INJURIES FROM WOLFEBORO FIRE; OFFICIALS WARN OF DRY CONDITIONS

by Christian Mower on March 24, 2012

WOLFEBORO FIRE AND RESCUE DEPUTY CHIEF TOM ZOTTI SAYS NO ONE WAS HURT LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON (MARCH 23, 2012) WHEN A FAST MOVING FIRE MOVED THROUGH A HEAVILY WOODED AREA OFF BOULDER BROOK ROAD.

ZOTTI’S DEPARTMENT RESPONDED JUST BEFORE 5 P.M. AFTER BEING TOLD OF SMOKE IN THE AREA AND LOCATED THE FIRE SHORTLY BEFORE 5:30 P.M.

A FIRST ALARM WAS DECLARED AS ARRIVING CREWS FOUND THE FIRE QUICKLY MOVING UP A HILL.

THE FIRE WAS BROUGHT UNDER CONTROL SHORTLY AFTER 6:15 P.M. ZOTTI SAYS ABOUT THREE QUARTERS OF AN ACRE BURNED. THE CAUSE IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

FIRE DEPARTMENTS FROM OSSIPEE CORNER, TUFTONBORO AND WAKEFIELD ASSISTED – AS DID WOLFEBORO POLICE AND STEWARTS AMBULANCE.

ZOTTI SAYS THE LACK OF SNOW OVER THE WINTER HAS RESULTED IN A VERY DRY, EARLY SPRING – AND WITH LAST WEEK’S UNUSUALLY HIGH TEMPERATURES, THE NEW HAMPSHIRE DIVISION OF FORESTS AND LANDS SAYS THE WILDFIRE SEASON HAS COME EARLY.

BRAD SIMPKINS – THE DIVISION’S INTERIM DIRECTOR – SAYS THE STATE HAS TAKEN STEPS TO PREPARE, INCLUDING STAFFING OF FIRE OBSERVATION TOWERS ON HIGH THREAT DAYS. AND HE CAUTIONS EVERYONE TO CHECK WITH THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT OR WARDEN TO SEE IF FIRE PERMITS ARE BEING ISSUED.

FIRE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED IN NEW HAMPSHIRE FOR ANY OPEN BURN WHEN THE GROUND IS NOT COVERED WITH SNOW.

THE CONWAY POLICE LOG INDICATES CONWAY FIREFIGHTERS RESPONDED SATURDAY AFTERNOON SHORTLY AFTER 4 P.M. TO A HOBBS STREET ADDRESS FOR AN ILLEGAL BURN.

SIMPKINS SAYS THIS WEEKEND’S RAIN WAS NEEDED BUT WILL ONLY PROVIDE TEMPORARY RELIEF BECAUSE OF CONTINUING HIGH WINDS AND LOW HUMIDITY. HE CAUTIONS AGAINST BURNING ON WINDY DAYS – OR TURNING YOUR BACK ON A FIRE.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE DIVISION, INCLUDING THE CURRENT FIRE CONDITIONS, SEE THE WEBSITE AT www.nhdlf.org.