NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FROM SANDY REPORTED IN CONWAY AREA

by Gair on October 30, 2012

CONWAY FIRE CHIEF AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR STEVE SOLOMON SAYS THE ARRIVAL OF SO-CALLED “SUPERSTORM SANDY” MONDAY NIGHT IN CONWAY PROVED FAIRLY EASY TO MANAGE.

THE CHIEF CREDITS THE TOWN AND SCHOOL STAFFS, POLICE AND FIREFIGHTERS AND OTHER RESPONDERS WITH FOLLOWING THE PLAN AND DEALING WITH ISSUES AS THEY CAME UP.

CONWAY VILLAGE GOT ABOUT 3 INCHES OF RAIN OVERNIGHT MONDAY. SOLOMON SAYS ABOUT 200 CUSTOMERS ON PASSACONAWAY RD. AND MILL ST. LOST POWER DUE TO DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES, BUT THEIR POWER HAS SINCE BEEN RESTORED.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EXTENDED A FLOOD WATCH UNTIL NOON WEDNESDAY FOR CARROLL AND COOS COUNTIES IN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND OXFORD COUNTY IN MAINE, MEANING THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING.

THE SERVICE SAYS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS COULD GET ANOTHER INCH OF RAIN WEDNESDAY.

A FLOOD WARNING FOR THE SACO RIVER IN CONWAY WAS EXTENDED UNTIL WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AFTER THE RIVER WAS MEASURED AS HIGH AS 10.6 FEET TUESDAY. FLOOD STAGE IS 9 FEET – AT 4:45 A.M. WEDNESDAY IT WAS MEASURED AT 8.6 FEET – IT IS PROJECTED TO CONTINUE TO SLOWLY DROP THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY.

NO MAJOR POWER OUTAGES HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN THE CONWAY AREA. NORTH CONWAY FIRE CHIEF PAT PREECE SAYS HIS FIREFIGHTERS RESPONDED AROUND 9:30 A.M. TUESDAY AFTER TRAFFIC LIGHTS WERE REPORTED OUT IN NORTH CONWAY. THE CHIEF SAYS SOME WIRES THAT CAME DOWN ON RIVER RD. CAUSED THE PROBLEM – AND AN OUTAGE IN THE BIRCH HILL AREA – THE POWER WAS QUICKLY RESTORED.

LATE TUESDAY NIGHT PUBLIC SERVICE COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE REPORTED ABOUT 80,000 CUSTOMERS SYSTEMWIDE WERE STILL WITHOUT POWER, DOWN FROM A HIGH OF JUST UNDER 140,000. THE MAJORITY OF THE OUTAGES ARE IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE STATE. PSNH SAID CREWS WOULD CONTINUE TO WORK THROUGH THE NIGHT.

NEW HAMPSHIRE ELECTRIC CO-OP SAID LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON JUST MORE THAN 13,000 CUSTOMERS REMAINED WITHOUT POWER, DOWN FROM A HIGH OF MORE THAN 23.000.

IN MAINE, CENTRAL MAINE POWER COMPANY SAID LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON ABOUT 17,000 IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY AND ABOUT 1,5000 CUSTOMERS IN OXFORD COUNTY WERE STILL WITHOUT POWER. THE EMERGENCY SHELTER THAT HAD BEEN OPENED ON DEPOT ST. IN BRIDGTON HAS BEEN CLOSED.

Leave a Comment