NO ONE HURT AFTER BARN FIRE

by Christian Mower on June 3, 2013

THE CENTER CONWAY FIRE CHIEF SAYS NO ONE WAS HURT MONDAY MORNING AFTER A FIRE AT A BARN IN CENTER CONWAY. RAY LEAVITT SAYS HIS FIREFIGHTERS AND CONWAY AMBULANCE RESPONDED TO 13 GULF RD. JUST BEFORE 5 A.M.

LEAVITT SAYS THERE WAS STILL SMOKE COMING FROM THE BARN WHEN HE ARRIVED BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE FIRE WAS OUT. THE FIRE WAS APPARENTLY CAUSED BY A CITRONELLA BURN RING THOUGHT TO BE EXTINGUISHED THAT SMOLDERED ON A CHOPPING BLOCK.

THE HOMEOWNERS AWOKE MONDAY MORNING TO FIND FLAMES GOING UP THE SIDE OF THEIR BARN, DESCRIBED BY THE CHIEF AS A 30 BY 30 FOOT BUILDING THAT DIDN’T HOLD ANIMALS BUT HAD WICKER FURNITURE IN IT AND WAS SET UP AS AN ENTERTAINMENT AREA.

HE SAYS THE HOMEOWNERS USED A WATER-FILLED WHEELBARROW AND POTS AND PANS TO THROW WATER ON THE FIRE. THE CHIEF SAYS THERE WERE PROPANE TANKS NEARBY BUT THEY WERE NOT AFFECTED.

FIREFIGHTERS WERE AT THE SCENE ABOUT 45 MINUTES.

THE CHIEF SAYS IT WAS THE SECOND RECENT NON-SUSPICIOUS FIRE IN THE VICINITY AS SUNDAY NIGHT HIS CREWS RESPONDED AROUND 9:30 P.M. TO A CAMPER FIRE AT 1243 DAVIS HILL RD. THAT WAS ADJACENT TO PROPANE TANKS.

FIREFIGHTERS HAD THAT FIRE KNOCKED DOWN IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES. THE CAUSE WAS DETERMINED TO BE THE OVERLOADING OF A LIGHT DUTY EXTENSION CORD BEING USED TO POWER THE HOME.