NO ONE HURT IN GAS BUILDUP

by Christian Mower on December 13, 2013

THE CHIEF OF THE BARTLETT FIRE DEPARTMENT SAYS HIS FIREFIGHTERS FOUND A HIGH LEVEL OF CARBON MONOXIDE GAS IN ONE OF FOUR CONDOMINIUM UNITS THURSDAY MORNING BUT NO ONE WAS HURT.

PAT ROBERTS SAYS HIS FIREFIGHTERS AND NORTH CONWAY AMBULANCE RESPONDED TO 25 CHRISTMAS MOUNTAIN RD. SHORTLY AFTER 8:45 A.M. AFTER A MAN LIVING IN AN UPSTAIRS CONDO HEARD THE ALARM GOING OFF

THE CHIEF SAYS AFTER THEY INITIALLY DETECTED GAS IN A LOWER UNOCCUPIED CONDO, FIREFIGHTERS BACKED OUT AND SUITED UP WITH BREATHING APPARATUS AND WENT BACK IN TO FIND A HIGH LEVEL OF GAS.

THEY SHUT OFF THE SOURCE OF THE GAS – A PROPANE FIRED TYPE WOODSTOVE THAT HAD APPARENTLY MALFUNCTIONED – AND A GAS COMPANY WAS CALLED TO FIX IT. THE CONDO WAS FULLY VENTED AND THE SITUATION WAS DECLARED UNDER CONTROL SHORTLY BEFORE 9:30 A.M.

THE CHIEF SAYS THE MAN WHO REPORTED THE ALARM WAS CHECKED OUT AND WAS OK.

ROBERTS REFERS TO CARBON MONOXIDE AS THE “SILENT KILLER, SAYING YOU CAN’T SMELL IT OR TASTE IT.

THE CHIEF SAYS CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS HAVE A LIFE EXPECTANCY OF FIVE YEARS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DETECTORS OR HOW TO USE THEM, CALL YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT.

Leave a Comment