ONE PERSON HURT AFTER HOUSE EXPLODES

by Gair on September 24, 2013

THE CONWAY FIRE CHIEF SAYS ONE PERSON SUFFERED SERIOUS INJURIES MONDAY AFTERNOON AFTER A SINGLE FAMILY HOME EXPLODED ON THE CONWAY/ALBANY TOWN LINE.

STEVE SOLOMON SAYS HIS DEPARTMENT RESPONDED TO VALLADARES DRIVE SHORTLY AFTER 4 P.M. MONDAY AFTER GETTING A REPORT A BUILDING HAD COLLAPSED.

THE CHIEF SAYS WHEN HE GOT TO THE HOUSE, SMOKE WAS COMING OUT OF THE FRONT OF IT AND BYSTANDERS DIRECTED HIM TO AN INJURED PERSON WHO WAS LYING IN THE GRASS.

SOLOMON TOLD WMUR-TV A MAN WHO LIVES IN THE HOUSE SMELLED GAS WHEN HE OPENED THE DOOR TO IT MONDAY AND AS THE MAN WAS GOING TO INVESTIGATE THE SMELL, THE HOUSE EXPLODED.

SOLOMON SAYS THE FIRST FLOOR WALLS WERE BLOWN OUT AND THE SECOND FLOOR OF THE HOUSE WAS RESTING ON THE GROUND. THE BLAST REPORTEDLY LIFTED THE HOUSE OFF ITS FOUNDATION.

THE CHIEF SAYS PROPANE GAS EXPLODED IN THE BASEMENT.

THE VICTIM – IDENTIFIED BY WMUR AS PHIL MURPHY – WAS TAKEN TO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL IN NORTH CONWAY AFTER BEING TREATED AT THE SCENE. HE WAS LATER TRANSFERRED TO MAINE MEDICAL CENTER IN PORTLAND, WHERE A SPOKESPERSON REPORTED HIM TO BE IN “FAIR” CONDITION TUESDAY MORNING.

FIREFIGHTERS PUT THE SMOLDERING FIRE OUT AND WATER, ELECTRIC AND PROPANE UTILITIES TO THE HOUSE WERE SHUT OFF.

THE CAUSE OF THE EXPLOSION IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

WRITER: MACKENZIE TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 24 2013 WITH ADDITIONAL MATERIAL FROM AP WIRE REPORT AND WMUR.COM

Leave a Comment