Shed fire caused by woodstove

by Gair on February 14, 2014

The fire chief in Center Ossipee says an improperly installed wood stove started a fire in a work shed Thursday afternoon.

Mike Brownell says his firefighters and other area departments responded to a first alarm shortly after 1:30 p.m. that was initially called a barn fire and on arrival at a home at 63 Moultonville Rd. a few minutes later discovered smoke and flames coming from a one car size garage shed.

Other responders, including firefighters from West Ossipee, Ossipee Corner and Tamworth were called off once the small size of the fire was determined. Care Plus Ambulance responded to the scene and Tuftonboro firefighters provided station coverage.

Brownell says the fire started because the woodstove exhaust pipe vented right through the wood wall without any kind or protection.

Firefighters were able to protect the nearby 2-story Cape style house that was only about 10 feet away from the shed.

No one was hurt but it took some time to overhaul the fire. One side of the shed was completely burned but the chief says it can be repaired.

The last unit cleared the scene shortly after 3 p.m.

Leave a Comment