The chief of the North Conway Fire Dept. says pressure from snow caused a propane gas leak at a convenience store in North Conway early Friday morning.
Pat Preece says his firefighters responded shortly before 5 a.m. to the Big Apple on Route 16 after customers told the store clerk they smelled gas in the area. The store was evacuated.
Firefighters used a long ladder to access the pitched roof, where they found melting snow had slid into a propane pipe near the rear of the building, breaking a fitting and causing a leak.
The gas was shut off and a gas company called to make repairs. Firefighters vented the inside of the store and then checked for carbon monoxide levels, which were barely detectable.
No one was hurt. Firefighters cleared the scene around 6:50 a.m.