The fire chief in Tamworth urges people who burn a lot of wood to have their chimneys checked by a professional after his firefighters responded to a chimney fire late Wednesday morning.
Rich Colcord says his firefighters, West Ossipee Fire Department and North Conway Ambulance responded about 11:30 a.m. to a home at 46 Chinook Trail and found a minor chimney fire. The home had a metal roof and it was steep.
The chief says the homeowner apologized for calling the firefighters but Colcord says he did the right thing and he can’t say it enough for people to never hesitate to call for emergency responders if they think they have a problem. He says he would rather deal with a minor chimney fire than a house fire.
Colcord says because of the cost of heating oil and the extreme cold people are relying more on wood heat than usual, so their chimneys may need cleaning even if they had it done in the fall.