TRANSVALE BUYBACK ONE STEP CLOSER

by Christian Mower on February 12, 2013

CONWAY’S PLAN TO BUY OUT SEVERAL PROPERTY OWNERS IN TRANSVALE ACRES IS ONE STEP CLOSER TO COMPLETION AFTER NEW HAMPSHIRE GOV. MAGGIE HASSAN AND THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL APPROVED THE PROCESS LAST WEEK.

CONWAY TOWN MANAGER EARL SIRES SAYS HASSAN AND THE COUNCIL APPROVED WEDNESDAY THE TOWN GETTING $266,000 IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT FUNDS AND AN ADDITIONAL $619,000 FROM THE FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY – FOR A TOTAL OF $885,000.

SIRES SAYS THE NEW HAMPSHIRE LEGISLATURE’S FISCAL COMMITTEE STILL NEEDS TO SIGN OFF ON THE STATE ACCEPTING THE FEMA MONEY. HE EXPECTS THAT TO HAPPEN BY EARLY MARCH.

THE TOWN WILL THEN BE ABLE TO DISBURSE THE FUNDS TO BUY OUT ABOUT A DOZEN PROPERTIES.

PUBLIC HEARINGS ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE BUYOUT AND THE TOWN WILL GET INPUT FROM ITS PLANNING BOARD AND CONSERVATION COMMISSION – BOTH BODIES HAVE PREVIOUSLY INDICATED THEIR APPROVAL OF THE BUYOUT PLAN.

THE BUYOUT PLAN OPTION WAS OFFERED TO ALL PROPERTY OWNERS IN TRANSVALE ACRES – THE LOW LYING DEVELOPMENT OFF WEST SIDE RD. IN CONWAY NEAR THE SACO RIVER DEVASTATED BY FLOODING FROM TROPICAL STORM IRENE IN AUGUST, 2011.

AFTER PURCHASE, ANY EXISTING STRUCTURES ON THE PROPERTIES WILL BE DEMOLISHED AND CLEARED AND THE PROPERTIES LEFT IN AN UNDEVELOPED STATE.

SIRES SAYS AS MANY AS 40 PROPERTIES IN TRANSVALE ACRES STILL HAVE SOME SORT OF CODE OR REGULATORY PROBLEMS. SOME OF THE CASES ARE BEING HEARD IN COURT. HAVING ILLEGAL SEPTIC SYSTEMS IS AN ISSUE FOR MANY OF THE PROPERTIES.

Leave a Comment