WEEMAN WILL PLEAD IN KIDNAP CASE

by Christian Mower on August 30, 2012

AN ASST. CARROLL COUNTY ATTORNEY SAYS A 36-YEAR-OLD NORTH CONWAY MAN HAS AGREED TO PLEAD GUILTY IN CONNECTION WITH A CASE WHERE HE ALLEGEDLY KIDNAPPED A 21-YEAR OLD WOMAN IN NORTH CONWAY EARLIER THIS YEAR (2012).

STEVE MURRAY SAYS JOHN F. WEEMAN OF CROSS ST. HAS AGREED TO PLEAD GUILTY TO KIDNAPPING, CRIMINAL TRESPASS – AND VIOLATING TERMS OF HIS PROBATION AND A PROTECTIVE ORDER – AFTER ALLEGEDLY HOLDING THE WOMAN AGAINST HER WILL FOR SEVERAL HOURS IN THE BEDROOM OF HER DEPOT ST. APARTMENT IN EARLY FEBRUARY, 2012.

WEEMAN WAS SCHEDULED TO GO ON TRIAL IN SEPTEMBER, 2012.

IN EXCHANGE FOR HIS PLEA, PROSECUTORS AGREED TO DROP CHARGES OF SEXUAL ASSAULT AND ASSAULT.

AT THE TIME OF HIS ARREST, CONWAY POLICE SAY WEEMAN WAS ON PROBATION FOR OTHER INCIDENTS AND WAS PROHIBITED FROM HAVING CONTACT WITH THE VICTIM, BASED ON A RESTRAINING ORDER THAT HAD BEEN ISSUED AGAINST HIM IN LATE JANUARY, 2012.

MURRAY SAYS WEEMAN WILL BE SENTENCED TO A MINIMUM OF FOUR AND HALF YEARS IN THE STATE PRISON – AND COULD BE SENTENCED TO AS MANY AS 10 YEARS.

A SENTENCING DATE HAS NOT YET BEEN SET.