From the category archives:

Front Page News

Manchester, England (AP) –  Police in Manchester say they have arrested three more men in connection with the suicide bombing at a pop concert that killed 22 people. They said Wednesday the arrests had been made in the south of the city, where a day earlier a 23-year-old man was also arrested and a number of homes were searched.

Police are trying to establish if bomber Salman Abedi acted alone or whether there could be a risk of further attacks. Manchester police so far have said nothing about the attacker’s possible motivation.

Manchester health officials have raised the number of wounded in the concert bombing, saying 119 people sought medical treatment at the city’s hospitals after the suicide attack Monday night.

The Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership gave the higher figure on Wednesday. Jon Rouse of the agency said 64 people were still hospitalized. He said the number of overall wounded was raised due to the “walking wounded” who came in hours after the attack. Rouse said many of those hospitalized had serious wounds that would require “very long term care and support in terms of their recovery.”

July McKenzie, who was shopping when the Arndale shopping center, said: “We were just in the shop and could hear people screaming and security guards telling everybody to get out.” Some people left the scene in tears, while others waited outside the mall.

A Czech woman who was at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester says that “there was almost no security check, rather zero. They let us get in without any check if we have anything with us.” Nikola Trochtova told the Czech public radio that “the only thing they were interested in was if we had any bottles of water with us. They almost didn’t check our bags, they didn’t take a look.” She says she was leaving the venue when she heard an explosion at the entrance, but learned the details only after returning to her hotel.

The United States Department of Homeland Security says there is no evidence of credible threats against music venues in the U.S., as England reels from an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert late Monday. The department says the U.S. public may experience increased security in and around public places and events.

TMZ is reporting that the 23-year-old singer has suspended the remaining stops on her European tour. Grande was scheduled to perform in London on Thursday.

British Prime Minister Theresa May says that it is “beyond doubt” that Britain and the city of Manchester have fallen victim to “a callous terrorist attack.” Speaking outside her offices in London, she says “Although it is not the first time Manchester has suffered in this way, it is the worst attack the city has experienced, and the worst ever to hit the north of England.” May says police believe they know the attacker’s identity but are not disclosing it immediately.

Harun Khan, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, has joined the condemnations of the Manchester attack. In a statement, Khan says: “This is horrific, this is criminal. May the perpetrators face the full weight of justice both in this life and the next.” He adds: “I urge all those in the region and around the country to pool together to support those affected.”

President Donald Trump is expressing solidarity with the United Kingdom in the wake of a deadly explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, condemning the “evil losers” behind the blast. Trump spoke Tuesday after a meeting in Bethlehem with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Trump says the attack preyed on “innocent children.” He says this “wicked ideology must be obliterated. And I mean completely obliterated.” Manchester police so far have said nothing about the attacker’s identity or possible motivation.

{ Comments on this entry are closed }

Hiram Woman Killed In Brownfield Car Accident

by Christian Mower on May 23, 2017

 

Brownfield, ME – An 80-year-old Maine woman was killed and two other people were hurt in a wrong-way crash. Police said that last Friday 70-year-old James Biggs of Hiram was headed northbound on Route 113 in the area known as Pequawket Trail when for some reason he crossed into the southbound lane. Biggs’ Honda fit collided with a Jeep driven by 40-year-old Melissa Lavin of Bangor.

Gail “Jane” Sumner, of Hiram, who was riding with Biggs died instantly in the crash. Biggs needed to be extracted from his vehicle and Lavin was able to get out of her jeep on her own. Biggs was taken to Bridgton Hospital but was later flown to Maine Med.

Route 113 was shut down for approximately four hours while crews investigated the accident. The accident remains under investigation, however authorities do not believe speed or alcohol were factors

{ Comments on this entry are closed }

Conway, NH – Project SUCCEED at the Pine Tree School, has won a 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant that will fund part of the cost of afterschool for the next 5 years. Clay Groves, Program Director wrote and won a $300,000 five year grant ($60,000 a year) for the Pine Tree School. This will cover nearly 2/3 of the cost of running the program at that school. The yearly operating budget for Project SUCCEED at Pinetree is $94,000.  Other funding sources include a warrant article, other smaller grants and program fees.

Both Conway Elementary and the John Fuller school are also funding in part on 21CCLC dollars, next year 2017/2018 is the last year of the grant funding both of those sites. Groves intends on applying for the grant again in order to keep afterschool available to ALL the students in Conway.

Project  SUCCEED is about to begin it’s 20th year of serving the youth of the Mount Washington Valley.

The mission of Project SUCCEED is to help give youth the skills and opportunities they need to be successful academically, socially and emotionally in a safe and supervised environment.  Program offerings include safe and supervised activities for students through morning supervision, homework assistance, computer lab, enrichment programs, Tin Mountain Conservation Center, and many more exciting activities. Conway Elementary School, John Fuller Elementary School and Pine Tree Elementary School offer extended day services up to five days per week, three hours per day to students in grades K-6.

To learn more about Project SUCCEED visit www.projectsucceed.com or call 603-447-6158

{ Comments on this entry are closed }

9 Kennett High Students Get VIP Treatment From NASA

by Christian Mower on May 16, 2017

 

Houston, TX – Nine Kennett high School students were honored with the VIP treatment during a visit to The Johnson Space Center last month. According to the Conway Daily Sun NASA recognized the students for hardware they created for the International Space Station to hold lockers together on the space station. The lockers head to space next month.

Kennett seniors Cole Schoonover, Shawn Kenny, Jamie Kelemen, Dillon Dascoulias, Aaron Lamar and Cain Drouin; juniors Josh Rivers and Zac Phaneuf; and sophomore Nick Heysler got to stay in Houston from April 27-30 as a reward for all of their hard work on the hardware.

In all 15 schools were recognized as a part of the High school students United with NASA to Create Hardware or HUNCH program, but Kennett was the only school that wasn’t from Texas.

As a part of their VIP tour the students got a behind-the-scenes tour of just about everything at the center from Mission Control to even getting to check out the controls of the space shuttle. In addition to the VIP tour students were given a new mission HUNCH founder Stacy Hale. Andy Shaw, machine tool teacher at the Mount Washington Valley Career and Technical Center told the Sun that Hale was so impressed with the student’s work that he wants them to make hardware for the handrails in the International Space Station.

Hale also challenged the students to get 12 parts done by the end of the school year. If they do he’ll come all the way from Texas for graduation.

{ Comments on this entry are closed }

Mount Washington Valley Regional Science & Technology Fair Winners

by Christian Mower May 12, 2017 Front Page News

Conway, NH – On May 11 nearly 300 middle and high school students shared over 250 exhibits demonstrating the skills and understanding needed to explore scientific questions. Every student who participated deserves recognition for a job well done presenting their experiments and inventions to a panel of three expert judges from the community.   Middle […]

Read the full article →

NH Senate Passes Decriminalization Of Marijuana

by Christian Mower May 12, 2017 Front Page News

Concord, NH (AP) – New Hampshire is on the path to joining its New England neighbors by decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana. The state Senate passed legislation Thursday to remove criminal penalties for possessing up to three-quarters of an ounce of marijuana. It must go back to the House for a final vote […]

Read the full article →